Tuesday, May 03, 2016

MUSIC | on rotation: Jan - Apr 2016

I've added a little segment where I make a small list of albums and songs that I've been having on heavy rotation from January till the present! It seems to me that these few months are those periods where you get fewer releases as compared to the months after May - probably artists are waiting for the summer tour to release their material - but nonetheless, after a little digging and sifting through the albums released in the beginning of the year, I'm pretty happy with what I've found so far.


Beach Slang, "The Things We Do to Find People Who Feel Like Us"
I don't about you, but sometimes I have those "why didn't I discover this earlier?!" moments when I listen to albums released a year / few years before - this album is one of them. I've been trying to find an album to cure my Japandroids drought (which makes me wonder too - where ARE they?!) and this year, it's this album. These are fist-pumping songs with a couldn't-care-less holler right in your face. "Bad Art & Weirdo Ideas" makes for a great song to jam to or head-bang to or scream along to - whatever floats your boat.


Shearwater, "Jet Plane and Oxbow"
I first heard the single "Only Child" only because I followed Sub Pop on twitter, and they promoted the album extensively through the platform when it was released. This album is actually my first foray into Shearwater, and backtracking to their previous albums this one certainly does show their expansion and inclusion of synthesizers and electronics to their more traditional, folk-rock sound. My favourites are the opener "Prime", and "Backchannels", a more classic Shearwater song.


School of Seven Bells, "SVIIB"
"SVIIB" was made and completed in memoriam of School of Seven Bells' guitarist and songwriter, Benjamin Curtis, who passed away in 2013. The album is a mix of dreamy and soaring instrumentation, complete with glitches and dramatic bass, that sole surviving bandmate Alejandra Deheza worked on after Curtis' demise. I really enjoyed songs like "Open Your Eyes" and the closer "This Is Our Time".


Wild Nothing, "Life of Pause"
I would say that this isn't as well done as the all-rounded, excellent "Nocturne" back in 2012, but is a good release nonetheless. Jack Tatum brings in 70's nostalgia this time round, complete with sax in tracks like "Whenever I" (to great effect!). It's a good companion to "Nocturne", but with less grandeur in my opinion.


Kendrick Lamar, "untitled unmastered"
ANOTHER Kendrick release just one year after "To Pimp A Butterfly"?! YEZ PLEASE. I love the way Kendrick presents an album in it's raw, unmastered form, it's really different and yet still showcases his songwriting and performing prowess. His guests make the stuff on the record great too: "untitled 06 | 06.30.2014." features vocals from Cee Lo Green and a little Bossa Nova beat as well, which to my surprise is really what makes the track a standout.


Weezer, "Weezer (White Album)"
The latest entry to my "on-rotation" is the latest Weezer self-titled. I wasn't that excited by the initial release of singles (although I liked "Thank God For Girls" a little), but listening to the album in full made it feel different. I liked Weezer's early releases but didn't pay much attention to them for the albums in between, but White Album sits very nicely with the former. The tracks here feel very upbeat with powerful choruses and guitars ("California Kids"), while some hold darker, sadder undertones ("Do You Wanna Get High?", "Jacked Up"). For me, the album is a consistent effort, with one song flowing into the other without abrupt switch-ups but not too same-y either.

There are so many albums out there that are yet to be discovered, and I'm still working on it! Meanwhile...what are your albums and songs on rotation?

Till next time, 
Yolande

No comments:

Post a Comment